Agent Banking is a process of no-branch banking which provides appropriate financial services to large unbanked communities in both urban and rural areas at affordable cost. The aim of the service is not to destroy branch banking but to bring those people under the umbrella of banking service who are away from banking facilities.
Since it is not possible to have bank branches in every village, Bangladesh can also reach its 68,000 villages through agent banking. There are around 160 million people of which only 13 per cent are bank account holders. By appointing agent’s a bank can now conveniently offer the banking services to rural and unbanked population through Agents Banking.
Agent Banking can be a perfect platform for Bangladesh to take financial services to the country’s largely unbanked population in an efficient and low-cost manner. Countries across the globe are moving to doorstep agent banking, where banks are expected to close more unprofitable branches while they invest in technology and appointing agents.
Agent Banking Services
- Collection and processing of documents in relation to account opening, loan application, credit and debit card application from public
- Collection of small value cash deposit and cash withdrawal
- Inward foreign remittance disbursement
- Facilitating small value loan disbursement and recovery of loans, Installments
- Facilitating utility bills payment
- Facilitating fund transfer
- Balance inquiry
- Generation and issuance of mini bank statements
- Post sanction monitoring of loan and advances and follow up of loan recovery
- Other Functions like deposit collection, payment of insurance premium etc.
- Electronic Fund Transfer (EFTN)
- Automated Cheque Processing System (ACPS)
- Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS)
- Credit Information Bureau Reporting (CIB)
- Digital Signature
- IT Audit